Municipality of Carpaneto - History
History of the municipality of Carpaneto
The territory which today forms the municipality of Carpaneto was in all probability populated already in very ancient times; many settlements go back to the days of the Romans, founded along the lines of centuriation or on the road to Veleia. Remains from Roman times have been found in various localities in the municipal area.
Throughout the Middle Ages the district was afflicted by destruction caused by the struggles between Guelphs and Ghibellines, between nobles and commoners, and, not least in importance, by the raids of King Enzo or the people of Cremona.
Castles, towers and strongholds abound, built to control and defend the villages, fiefs and roads and to ensure payment of duties and taxes. Many of these buildings are still well preserved and are found scattered throughout the municipal area of Carpaneto, making this truly a "land of castles". Their presence brings to mind the noble families that shared power in this area between the Middle Ages and the 19th century: the Malaspina, the Landi, the Anguissola, the Barattieri, the Bracciforti, the Confalonieri, the Dal Pozzo, the Del Cario, the Moncassola, the Rossi and, above all, the Scotti, who were lords of Carpaneto from the 15th century.
In 1606 the Farnese granted the Marquessate of Carpaneto, Diolo and Vigoleno to Cesare Maria Scotti. The Scotti held these lands until the suppression of feudalism by Napoleon. In 1806 the first Mayor of Carpaneto was nominated. At that time the municipal teritory of Carpaneto included five other important centres, each with its own castle, church and mill and the right to a representative on the town council.
Carpaneto was also the centre of a canton, including the towns of Gropparello, Cadeo and Travazzano.