There are no reliable documents that allow us to reconstruct a complete history of this area. Some discoveries show that the territory may have been inhabited at the time of the terramare, and later by Gaulish populations.
Numerous remains that have come to light in the town and surrounding villages show that there were Roman settlements here.
The mediaeval history of the town is better documented and reveals the presence of the Malaspina, who built the Castle of Podenzano in 1152. Between the 12th and 13th centuries this area was involved in the bitter fighting between factions contending the control of the city of Piacenza. There is also mention of various attacks and destruction by King Enzo between 1242 and 1245.
The Anguissola purchased the fief of Podenzano in the second half of the 15th century and kept it until the Napoleonic period. In 1806 Podenzano was made a municipality in the district of Piacenza.
In 1848 Podenzano was the first municipality to vote for annexation to the Kingdom under the House of Savoy. Podenzano was also one of the first municipalities to start drilling in search of petroleum, first by the Ballerini company and then by Agip.
Today Podenzano is a modern town, with industrial and commercial businesses. Agriculture, the original vocation of this territory, has not been abandoned but is well developed and prosperous.