The Da Rizzolo must have been lords of Castione about the year 1000. Historians mention Castaggio in 1317, when troops faithful to Alberto Scoto raided the cattle kept at Castione and tried to take them to their lord, besieged at Castell`Arquato, but without success. We do not know when the castle was built but the great keep on top of the hill dominates this part of the Nure and Riglio valleys. In 1647 Count Roberto Benzoni was lord of this area, which then passed to the Salvatico, who also held the fiefs of Montesanto and Cassano. Today Castione is a hardworking village where ancient and modern live side by side. Next to the historic keep of the Castle is the parish church, dedicated to the holy martyrs John the Baptist and Antonino.