Rocca of San Giorgio
Rocca or fortress of San Giorgio at San Giorgio Piacentino
The Rocca of San Giorgio was built at the end of the 16th century as a military outpost in support of the Castle in San Giorgio, today the Town Hall, not far away. In 1630 it was transformed into a villa or country house.The moat that surrounded the building was drained and the property was enclosed behind a wall. In the 18th century an Italian garden was created, and some traces of this remain. Inside, the reception rooms were frescoed by the artist Felice Biella from Milan.
In 1830 the Piacenza architect Antonio Tomba restored the rural buildings in front of the Rocca, creating the barchesse with their long portico and two greenhouses on the est and west sides.
Following the fashion of the time, he designed the English garden and park.
To frame the entrance to the complex, two neogothic turrets were placed on the terraces of the barchesse in 1890.
The first Count of San Giorgio was Alessandro Anguissola, but later the property passed to the family of the Counts Scotti della Scala, the name associated today with the Rocca of San Giorgio.
Paolo, the last member of the Scotti family, died in 1877 and his daughter Clelia brought the Rocca as her dowry to the Count Ferdinando Negri della Torre. Their only daughter married Guido Gazzola and the Gazzola family still live in the Rocca today.
The Rocca is still a private residence but it is possible to hire some rooms for events and ceremonies such as exhibitions, gala dinners, conferences, meetings, prestigious events and weddings.
In addition, it is possible to request a guided visit for groups of 15/20 people, preferably on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, if booked ahead.
Rocca di San Giorgio
Via Conciliazione, 3
San Giorgio Piacentino