Castle of Torrano
The original nucleus of the castle was probably a tower erected in the middle of the 13th century under the Confalonieri lords. It was then occupied by Alberto Scoto, only to pass to the Fulgosio family thanks to Galeazzo Visconti. It was at this time that other structures were added to the tower until it became a real castle with massive scarped walls crowned by Ghibelline crenellation, interior walls and a fortified entrance.
In 1321, having fallen out with the Fulgosio, Galeazzo Visconti attacked and destroyed the castle, in whole or in part, then granting it to the Leccacorvi. Later it passed to Stefano Nicelli.
In 1482 the Leccacorvi managed to regain possession of the castle and lands of Torrano, surrendering them to Bernardino Marconi in the 1520s.
In 1649 the castle passed to the Chiapponi, who had just been created Counts of Torrano; later it was taken over by the Camera Ducale and then became State property.
We know from a 17th-century description that at that time the castle had a drawbridge defended by a low tower used as a guardroom. The prisons were in the keep, two upstairs and one on the ground floor, accessible through a trapdoor.
Today the castle is privately owned and is undergoing restoration.
The structure is solid and compact, surrounded by towers and scarped walls, while a bridge crosses the dry moat.