The date of foundation of this fortress is unknown but it must have a long history behind it (it seems to have been in existence already in the 8th century) and many owners.
In 1702 Francesco Farnese created the brothers Pier Francesco and Giuseppe Anviti Counts of Zena. It is likely that it was to celebrate this event that the fireplace in the Salone was painted with the Farnese arms. The splendid frescoes and and the rich decoration must have been carried out to make the house suitable to receive the Farnese family, who came here to go hunting.
In spite of the numerous alterations effected over the centuries, the castle still has the appearance of a mediaeval fortress, with its square plan and solid compact walls. At the entrance there are still signs of the drawbridge (now substituted by a stone structure) and the old moat.
However, inside the rooms are typical of an 18th-century villa, with their elegant frescoes and decorations.