Mills in the central Nure Valley
The presence of the River Nure has been of fundamental importance for the development of the area and the life of its people. Thanks to the waters of the Nure, for example, mills were founded. There have been artisan millers in and around Vigolzone since the late Middle Ages.
The water of the rivi (the channels carrying water from the Nure) was used to power the wheels that turned the millstones.
Usually the mills had stones that could grind wheat and other cereals simultaneously. At Vigolzone, however, there was also the Mulino Bianco - the White Mill, where they worked only wheat to obtain white flour, and the Mulino Nero - the Black Mill, where they ground the other cereals.
In 1832 there were still 15 mills in action in the area of Vigolzone.
In the central and upper valley of the Nure, mill wheels were also used to turn the trip hammers for breaking up minerals, for working metals and for producing paper.