Things to see
The town of Bettola lies on both banks of the river Nure. It is made up of two boroughs, San Bernardino (the older) and San Giovanni, which are ancient rivals, and each preserves the monuments and atmosphere of bygone times.
The provincial road takes you to Borgo San Giovanni, which developed after the Virgin appeared to a shepherd girl here in 1496. Two symmetrical buildings, the Town Hall and Post Office, give on to the magnifcent square with the statue of Christopher Columbus. On the other side of the square is the imposing shrine of the Madonna della Quercia.
In the neighbouring piazzetta S. Ambrogio is a tower-house, the ancient chapel of S. Giovanni, today a private home. Not far from the centre, going towards the Cerro Pass, is the chapel of the Apparition, next to a tower, all that remains of the Franciscan convent.
On the other bank of the river is the Borgo San Bernardino, with examples of mediaeval tower-houses, the church of San Bernardino, the Vulton, and some fine homes. Worthy of note is the Palazzo Barbugli.