A place with a long history, it is mentioned in mediaeval documents as "Monte Ochino".
The early history of Montechino is linked to that of its castle, while in more recent times (second half of the 19th century and early 20th) the name of Montechino and the surrounding district, and all the local economy, is connected to the petroleum industry ..
In feudal times, the territory of Montechino belonged to the bishops of Piacenza, then to the Confalonieri family -
all the Riglio valley was their fief - and finally to the Nicelli, who brought the valley into the area of influence of the Nure valley.
The Nicelli became interested in the valley in 1429, purchasing lands and buildings from the Confalonieri, including the castle of Monte Ochino. The Nicelli were created Counts of
Monte Ochino by the Duke Filippo Maria Visconti
With the triumph of the Nicelli, Montechino was controlled from the Nure valley and became part of the Magnifica Università.
A massive castle towering above the Riglio (transformed into a
residence) witnesses to the strategic importance of the area and is certainly the finest building in the village. There is also the parish church of San Donnino, rebuilt in the 20th century .
Parish church of Montechino
Founded in the 17th century as a private chapel of the Nicelli family, it became the parish church and was dedicated to the martyr Donnino. It was rebuilt in the early 20th century ...
When petroleum flowed in the Chero Valley
Strange natural phenomena were recorded in the Chero valley even before the 19th century: hot springs, will-o'-the-wisps or ignis fatuus indicating the presence of gas, petrol leaks ....