Mount Castellaro at Groppallo
Many years ago, thanks to its broad surface, Mount Castellaro was an excellent look-out point to control movement along the natural route of the valley.
This has, in fact, given the place its name, for Groppallo comes from groppo, a high point.
On the summit of Monte Castellaro there is cemetery dating from 1890, while the parish church of the Assunta was constructed in the 15th century and then rebuilt between 1909 and 1915.
Unfortunately these building operations led to the loss of archaeological material from the Bronze and Iron Ages, from the times of the Ligurians and from the early Middle Ages. Remains of the castles of the da Groppallo (13th century) and Nicelli (14-15th centuries) families were also lost.
Recent archeaological digs have brought to light fragments of ceramic decorated with Lombard wave patterns (6-7th centuries), the remains of a carbonised granary, and the floor plan of a workshop for the preparation of grains of soapstone, objects in copper and iron, and mediaeval coins.