A BIT OF HISTORY
A land of ancient origins between the river Nure and the hills.
The ancient name Ponte Albarola changed in Ponte dell'Olio when the town became an important market and storage of olive oil from Liguria region.
WHAT TO SEE?
As soon as you have crossed the river, you are welcomed by the historic church of San Giacomo, a mediaeval building that houses another important monument, the organ by Antonio Sangalli.
Next to the church is the fine bell tower, 18th century, and a little further away on the right is the former Town Hall with the clock tower, 19th century.
The chapel of San Rocco goes back centuries while the Fornaci, the cement kilns, are an important site of industrial archaeology. Not far from the centre is the Villa San Bono, famous as the dwelling of Caroline of Brunswick, wife of George IV.
The parish church of San Giacomo in Ponte dell’Olio houses one of the most important organs of the Nure valley, built by Antonio Sangalli in 1860.
The church was rebuilt in 1272, as is recorded on a plaque in the churchyard. Inside is a valuable organ built by the maestro Antonio Sangalli.
The Villa San Bono was built in the 18th century along with the attached chapel, in a dominant position in the town of Ponte dell’Olio.
Recently restored by the municipality, the monumental complex of the kilns of Ponte dell'Olio was built from 1890 by the Azienda Calce Val Nure to produce quicklime for building purposes.
An imposing construction in the pretty mediaeval village of Riva
The castle, on the right bank of the River Nure, has a fine strategic position that in the past gave it control of the road along the Nure valley.
The fortress, which today is an agriturismo, dominates the old village of Fulignano.
The castle, constructed in a strategic position, dominates the Nure and Riglio valleys.
The castle was built for defensive purposes in the Middle Ages and made still more powerful by Gian Galeazzo Visconti. It became the summer residence of the Salvatico family in the 18th century.
The original nucleus of the castle was probably a tower erected in the middle of the 13th century, under the Confalonieri lords. Today it is private property and open to visitors only on special occasions.