Church of San Giovanni Battista in Centovera
Parish church of Centovera
The old name was Glariola, Gerola or Giarola, and the church of San Giovanni Battista was one of the chapels subject to the pieve, or district church, of San Giorgio.
Today's baroque church was constructed between 1680 and 1682 on the ruins of the earlier building, of which only the campanile survives. The façade was completed in the 19th century. The interior, a nave with frescoed side chapels, preserves interesting works of art. These include a St Sebastian by Camillo Landriani (il Duchino), the Death of St Joseph, the altarpiece painted by Protasio Barbieri in 1632, and the Stations of the Cross copied from Viganoni by Candida Luigia Bozzini, the daughter of the Piacenza artist Paolo Bozzini who became an Ursuline nun, as well as numerous works by Giuseppe Girardi, who taught at the Gazzola - St Maurus and the neoclassical Crucifixion in the apse, to mention only two. The altar in coloured marbles in the apse was done by the Fossati in 1764.