Church of San Giovanni at Carmiano
The first documents referring to the Pieve or district church of Carmiano go back to 886, the campanile was built in the 14th century and the new church was consecrated in 1561. The church has been altered various times over the years. The architect Berzolla designed the façade with its neoclasical tympanum in 1938. In the same year the painters Opilio Ghittoni and Luigi Mazza painted the frescoes. The church preserves various relics, of the True Cross, of St Louis, a tunic of St John the Evangelist, of St James the Apostle, S Opilio and St Christopher.
In the nave there are 12 paintings showing the Instruments of the Passion, set in gothic frames and roses, frescoed by Opilio Ghittoni in the 1930s. The presbytery is at a higher level than the nave, and has two canvases, Rest on the Flight into Egypt and the Adoration of the Shepherds, by an Emilian painter of the school of Guercino - the animals are represented in a very realistic way.
Two other paintings of the 19th century show St John the Evangelist and Our Lady of Mount Carmel.
The painted wooden Crucifixion of Christ is of great interest; the work of an 18th-century sculptor influenced by Geernaert, it is extremely dramatic and full of intense feeling.
In the conch of the apse is a painting by Stano Dusik (1984), applied on 9 wooden panels and representing the Resurrection. In the apse the local artist Luigi Mazza painted Christ with the 12 apostles.