Church of St George the Martyr in San Giorgio Piacentino
Parish church of San Giorgio Piacentino
The church is mentioned for the first time in a document of 886, although the foundation of a church on this site may well go back to the 5th century.
In 886 the pieve (the church at the centre of a district) of San Giorgio was granted to the Cathedral of Piacenza, and it was later given to the monastery of San Savino.
The present building dates back to the 1670s, but it has been altered various times since then. The Romanesque bell tower survives from the earlier church; it was used until 1920, when the new campanile on the left was inaugurated.
Outside, the façade of the parish church is divided into three by double pilasters, reflecting the interior division. Three doorways, each crowned by a tympanum, lead into the interior. Above the main doorway is a fine fresco of St George slaying the dragon.
The church is built on a Latin cross, the nave, and two aisles opening into intercommunicating side chapels.
The baroque altar of the Sacred Heart in the right transept came from the Cathedral of Piacenza. On the left is a very unusual altar, dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary, decorated with festoons and coloured stuccoes. The presbytery too is interesting, with decorations in baroque style carried out in the 20th century by Angelo Capelli.
The wooden furnishings are very fine, particularly the elaborate baroque sacristy cupboard, the Serassi organ, the choirstalls, and the confessionals made by Giovanni Vecchia (a local artisan-artist) in 1863.
Particularly beautiful is the canvas of St George killing the Dragon, a late 19th-century copy by Emilio Perinetti of the painting by Soiaro.
In 1910 an ossuary was erected next to the church in classical style, with Corinthian capitals and columns.