Church of San Severo, Bishop, at Sariano
Parish church of Sariano
The present church of San Severo was built in the 17th century in place of an older church with the same dedication. It was much altered in the ten years following 1892, when the nave was lengthened and a new pulpit and altar in marble were fitted. In 1902 the neoclassical façade was completed and the area in front of the church was laid out.
The rather stocky campanile, built in stone, stands behind the church.
The church plan is a Latin cross, the nave flanked by aisles, and it contains works of art by some of the finest artists of Piacenza: a statue of Our Lady of Succour sculpted by J. Geernaaert in 1755, a fresco of the Deposition by Francesco Ghittoni (1881), and other frescoes by Alberto Aspetti and Ernesto Giacobbi (1948). The new pulpit (Christ preaching) was done by Alberto Lanati in 1985.