Church of St George the Martyr in San Giorgio Piacentino

Parish church of San Giorgio Piacentino

Church of St George the Martyr in San Giorgio Piacentino
The church is mentioned for the first time in a document of 886, although the foundation of a church on this site may well go back to the 5th century.
In 886 the pieve (the church at the centre of a district) of San Giorgio was granted to the Cathedral of Piacenza, and it was later given to the monastery of San Savino.
The present building dates back to the 1670s, but it has been altered various times since then. The Romanesque bell tower survives from the earlier church; it was used until 1920, when the new campanile on the left was inaugurated.
Outside, the façade of the parish church is divided into three by double pilasters, reflecting the interior division. Three doorways, each crowned by a tympanum, lead into the interior. Above the main doorway is a fine fresco of St George slaying the dragon.

The church is built on a Latin cross, the nave, and two aisles opening into intercommunicating side chapels.
The baroque altar of the Sacred Heart in the right transept came from the Cathedral of Piacenza. On the left is a very unusual altar, dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary, decorated with festoons and coloured stuccoes. The presbytery too is interesting, with decorations in baroque style carried out in the 20th century by Angelo Capelli.
The wooden furnishings are very fine, particularly the elaborate baroque sacristy cupboard, the Serassi organ, the choirstalls, and the confessionals made by Giovanni Vecchia (a local artisan-artist) in 1863.
Particularly beautiful is the canvas of St George killing the Dragon, a late 19th-century copy by Emilio Perinetti of the painting by Soiaro.

In 1910 an ossuary was erected next to the church in classical style, with Corinthian capitals and columns.
Related items
  • Castle of San Giorgio
    First built in the 10th century, the castle has suffered many alterations as well as bloody exchanges. Thanks to extensive restoration it is now in excellent condition and today serves as the town hall and library.
  • War Memorial - San Giorgio Piacentino
    20th-century commemorative monument
    A few metres from the Parish Church and from the Town Hall is the War Memorial, giving dignity to the Piazza
  • San Giorgio Piacentino
    Things to see
    A walk to discover in an unhurried way the noble past of this modern town, with some pleasant surprises.

  • Wine & food
    Wine & food
  • Places to eat
  • Nature
    Nature
  • Art and Culture
    Art and Culture
  • Where to stay
  • History of the Nure valley
    History of the Nure valley
  • Traditions and Curiosities
    Traditions and Curiosities
Visit Emilia | visit the Italian food valley
Emilia Romagna Turismo – Sito ufficiale di informazione turistica
Iat Val Nure e Val Chero
Tel +39 0523 870997
iat@valnure.info

Viale del Castello,
29020 Grazzano Visconti, PIacenza, Italy

Opening period
da Marzo a Dicembre

Opening period
from March to December

Opening days:
from Tuesday to Saturday
from 10.00 to 13.00
Sunday
from 10.00 to 13.00
from 14.00 at 17.00
© Tutti i diritti sono riservati
IAT Grazzano Visconti Val Nure e Val Chero - telefono: +39.0523.870997 - fax: +39.0523.870997 email: iat@valnure.info
Privacy Policy
Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy.
Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all’uso dei cookie.
Maggiori informazioniOK
- A +
powered by Infonet Srl Piacenza