Religious buildings of the Nure and Chero Valleys
An itinerary in search of the churches and religious monuments of the Nure and Chero valleys holds some pleasant surprises: apart from the fine architectural reminders of different historical periods, the interiors often contain small treasures that are little-known but which will not fail to delight and amaze those visitors who are able to find them!
Parish church of Gropparello
Facing on to the piazza of the town, in a splendid panoramic position, is the parish church dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta ....
Parish church of Montechino
Founded in the 17th century as a private chapel of the Nicelli family, it became the parish church and was dedicated to the martyr Donnino. It was rebuilt in the early 20th century ...
Parish church of Groppovisdomo
An ancient oratory that became a private chapel and then the parish church ....
Parish church of Castellana
The neo-Romanesque church was designed last century by the engineer De Benedetti to replace an older building ....
Parish church of Gusano
We do not know when the church of San Germano was founded in Gusano, but it is mentioned for the first time in documents of the 14th century ...
Chapel in Sariano
On a hill dominating the surrounding area stands the little church of Santa Maria della Neve...
Parish church of Sariano
Recorded in documents from the 13th century, the present parish church contains the remains of its predecessor. Inside are fine decorations by well-known artists from Piacenza ....
Parish church of Obolo
The parish church of Obolo is a simple building with a gabled façade, a nave without aisles, flanked by a fine 20th-century campanile ...
Parish church of Zena
Built in the 18th century, the church of San Prospero is a simple building with a barrel-vaulted interior ...
Church, priest's house and rural dwellings at Badagnano
The complex of buildings including the church dedicated to St John the Baptist, the priest's house and a number of restored rustic constructions, stands a little way from the village ....
Parish church of Chero
Constructed in the 18th century on the site of a chapel dating from the 12th century ....
Parish Church of Ciriano
Built in the 17th century in the centre of the village ...
The Chapel of the Apparition was built in 1954 in the area called i Frati, near the former local prison, to celebrate the apparition of the Virgin in 1496.
Construction of the Shrine of the Blessed Virgin of the Quercia, in the imposing piazza Colombo, was completed in 1884 in celebration of the Marian apparition of 1496.
The parish church of San Giacomo in Ponte dell’Olio houses one of the most important organs of the Nure valley, built by Antonio Sangalli in 1860.
The church was rebuilt in 1272, as is recorded on a plaque in the churchyard. Inside is a valuable organ built by the maestro Antonio Sangalli.
A pretty little chapel designed by Count Giuseppe Visconti di Modrone, built at the beginning of 1930 in perfect neo-mediaeval style.
Parish church of Villanova
A plain simple old church, dominated by its elegant belltower.
Parish church of Vigolo
The church of San Salvatore at Vigolo dates back to before the year 1000.
Parish church of Recesio
In the 16th century the church of Recesio depended on the pieve (district church) of Padri.
Church of Santa Maria in Padri
Documents referring to this church go back to 1336. It stands a short distance from the village ...
Parish church of Leggio
A modern building erected in 1814 thanks to the parish priest of that time.
Parish church of Groppoducale
From the hilltop where the church stands, you dominate the village and the lovely valley of the Restano.
Church of Olmo
A very old church guarding the middle valley of the Nure.
Parish church of San Michele
Built near the river Riglio, the dedication takes us back to the time of the Lombards.