Santi Cosma e Damiano, Martyrs, in Castellana
Parish church of Castellana
We do not know when the first church was built in Castellana. A church dedicated to Saints Cosmas and Damian is mentioned only in the middle of the 19th century, in the report of monsignor Silva's Pastoral Visit.
The present building, which stands on the site of an earlier church, was built in 1937 to designs by the engineer De Benedetti, which reflect perfectly the neomediaeval revival.
The façade, rich and elaborate, mixes Romanesque and Gothic elements: a central doorway with porch and a gallery on columns underlining the line of the gable.
Inside – nave with two aisles – good works by Paolo Perotti (marble altar and wooden Crucifix).