In an excellent position at 420 m above sea level
The area must have been known and inhabited in Roman times, as is demonstrated by the discovery of pottery and bricks in the district, at Costa di Mezzo. In the 14th century Roncovero was under the jurisdiction of the monastery of San Savino. There are no records of fortification, just the modern name Castello, usually indicating the Palazzo Ghizzoni, lying lower down the hill. The existence of a church dedicated to St Lawrence is documented since 1359. Further down the hillside, on a terrace surrounded by green fields and woods, the Jesuits founded a seminary.