Villa la Chiesuola
In a panoramic position above Vigolzone
The Villa La Chiesuola stands in a panoramic position on the hills above Vigolzone. It can be reached on foot or by car along a gravel road off the Val Nure provincial road. As it is a private residence it is not open to visitors.
Where the Chiesuola now stands, in the 14th century there was a convent of Friars Minor. The convent and the church of S. Maria della Costa, also known as S Maria degli Angeli, then passed to the Augustinians and in the 18th century fell slowly into ruin.
In 1776 the convent no longer existed and the church was open only occasionally, thanks to Count Anguissola, feudal lord of Vigolzone.
The villa was built as the result of the transformation of the convent into a dignified country home during the 19th century. The chapel was rebuilt in 1852.
The residential nucleus culminates in a belvedere right on the roof of the villa, which is two storeys high. The exterior is undecorated, apart from some wrought iron on the ground-floor windows and the balconies.