Castle of Riva
An imposing construction in the pretty mediaeval village of Riva
The castle of Riva stands immediately above the eastern bank of the Nure, in a strategic position for controlling the road along the valley.
Built principally of stones from the river bed, the castle is surrounded by a wall with Ghibelline crenellation and has a massive tower.
The name of the Castle of Riva is mentioned for the first time on the occasion of a feudal investiture in 1199, then in a deed of alienation dated 1255. From 1323 for about 250 years, the castle was part of the powerful defence ring of the Anguissola family, who then gave it up to the Duke Ottavio Farnese.
After having various owners, in 1884 the castle came into the hands of Prince Emanuele Ruspoli, who had it restored. The restoration was completed by the Fioruzzi family, who has owned it since the 1930s.
The castle can be visited on the occasion of events organised by the municipality.