The castle is still inhabitated, accessible and rich of history.
The foundation age of the building is unknown, whereas damages occurred during the 13th century were reported. The actual appearance of the building is due to family Marazzani, who acquired it in 1453: a big trapezoid divided into two sectors – one is agricultural and the other one is mainly residential – surrounded by walls, from which fortified towers arise, and by a moat full of water, which enhances its charm.
During the renovation of the 15th century, the oratory of Santa Maria, dated back to the 9th century, were incorporated in the main residence.
The nobles Pettorelli, heirs of Marazzani and actual owners, have renovated the castle, by turning it into the ideal location for events, meetings and weddings.
The castle of Paderna is nowadays an organic educational farm, a grove and a garden, where ancient varieties of fruits and vegetables are cultivated.
The owners have also decided to make it accessible: the guided tours give the possibility to admire the defensive structure with the majestic squared tower dominating the fortress and the evocative “Water tower”, the courtyards, the organic farm, the ancient church of Santa Maria, the rural museum, the moat and so on.
The castle of Paderna is part of the Castle circuit of the Duchy of Parma, Piacenza and Pontremoli.