Church of San Mario e San Giovanni Battista in Vigolzone
The central church of this district existed at Vigolzone many centuries ago. Its existence is certain from at least 1355.
The present parish church of San Mario e San Giovanni Battista is a modern building in concrete, glass and metal, and has a very unusual elliptical shape.
It was built during the 20th century to a design by the engineer Luigi Lapis at the wish of monsignor Mario Nasalli Rocca, who paid for it and consecrated it in 1966.
From the outside the church looks very modern: three soaring arches surmount the entrances while an immense iron crown surrounds the upper part.
The church has a daring cupola, covering a surface of 600 sq metres. 8 bells hang in the 40-metre-high campanile, constructed in reinforced concrete.
The interior has a central plan and houses several older works of art, such as the young St John by the Flemish sculptor J. Geernaert (18th century) and a sculpture of the Madonna by Giovanni Setti (18th century).
The mosaics are also worth looking at, a recent work by Silvio Consadori.